Monday, January 01, 2007

In, out, the annual NYE debate

11.23am

Hairdresser: "So, where are you going tonight then?"

Me: "Oh, I don't know, probably staying in."

Hairdresser: "What!? On NYE?"

Me: "Don't worry ... in a few years it won't seem so frightening ... oh, yes, thanks, tea would be nice."

2.26pm

Me: "So, which of your many offers for tonight are you going with?"

Tom: "Er, not sure, might be going out, yeah."

Me: "Well, I've got your Christmas present here. Want to get an early drink first?"

Tom: "Er, ok ... I thought you were staying in."

Me: "Oh, I am, yes, I mean I'll be in at midnight, I'm just going round to Claire's then ..... so I'm not going out really. But a quick drink early on would be nice, just to get in the spirit, as they say."

Tom: "I see. You want to go somewhere quiet then?"

Me: "Absolutely not. I'll pick you up at half seven."

10.05pm

Anon: "So where's this party then?"

Anon's friend: "I've texted John, he knows them from work."

Anon: "Ah."

Anon's friend: "He's not got back to me yet ..."

(pause)

Anon: "Busy in here isn't it."

Anon's friend: "Yeah, you know next year we should stay in, it's mad going out on NYE."

Anon: "Yeah ..." (pause) "Are you going to call him then?"

12.01pm

Me: "I've never much liked New Year before, but seeing the back of 2006 is giving me a warm feeling all over."

Claire: "I know what you mean, this one is different."

Me: "It was a shit year ... 2007 will be so much better."

Claire: (shifting five week old baby slightly in her arms) "Well, it wasn't so good for you, I know."

Me: "Oh, yes, sorry ... of course you having Erica was the highlight of my year."

(pause)

Me: "There must be enough fireworks there to open at least six new hospitals."

Claire: "I was just thinking that ... it's got to cost a fortune.

Happy New Year, Sarah."

Me: "Happy New Year, Claire."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home